At St. Joseph Medical Center, our dedicated team of professionals are committed to our core values of quality, compassion, and community. As a member of Prime Healthcare, St. Joseph Medical Center is actively seeking new members to join its award-winning team!
Founded in 1874 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Joseph Medical Center has a long tradition of providing high-quality, compassionate care. Its Catholic heritage and the spirit of our founding Sisters continue today in our mission of caring for the community. The Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph is the Catholic Sponsor for St. Joseph Medical Center, under the leadership of his Excellency Bishop James V. Johnston, Jr.
St. Joseph Medical Center has received numerous awards for its quality and clinical excellence. We believe that continuous quality of care and performance improvements are the foundation for preserving and enhancing healthcare delivery. For information, visit www.stjosephkc.com.
The Behavioral Health Charge Nurse is responsible and accountable to the Department Director for the quality of nursing staff and the delivery of patient care during his/her shift and assists the Director in the daily operation of the respective unit(s)/department. He/she provides direct communication with the Director and/or House Supervisor of unanticipated patient care events and/or risk management activities within patient care unit(s); Utilizes nursing personnel effectively, assisting with required scheduling, staffing and assignments; Provides direction, supervision and evaluation of staff and/or staff education as necessary; Assists with performance evaluations, progressive discipline of staff and other related HR activities as needed; Assesses supplies and equipment availability, ensures their proper use and functionality and assists in the daily maintenance of par levels; Collaborates with other department managers/supervisors to ensure smooth coordination of services to patients; enhanced patient flow within the facility and efficient admission/discharge/transfer processes; Assesses patient care delivery and quality of care/documentation on a consistent basis; directs staff members to make immediate changes in the plan of care, as appropriate to ensure patient safety and adherence to regulatory guidelines, hospital policies, procedures, protocols and/or clinical pathways and notifies Department Director, House Supervisor and/or Medical Staff as appropriate utilizing the chain of command. Interviews patients/families on admission and during rounds to enhance positive patient experiences, provide comprehensive orientation to the patient care unit and increase patient/family awareness on how to access services and/or the charge nurse, if necessary. The Charge Nurse may perform direct patient care within scope of practice and clinical competency to ensure patient safety and patient/nurse ratios; he/she shall be temporarily relieved of Charge Nurse duties during such times by Director/designee and shall document details of same on patient care assignment record.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING
1. Current and valid state RN License 2. Current BLS (AHA) upon hire and maintain current.
3. Current ACLS (AHA) 30 days upon hire and maintain current, preferred.
4. Previous supervisory experience, preferred.
5. Behavioral Violence Prevention (BVP) certificate within 6 months of hire and maintain current.
6. Working knowledge of Mental Health Laws, Practice Standards, interdisciplinary treatment team process, behavior health programming and daily nursing functions for inpatient and outpatient behavioral units.
7. Continuum of care for behavioral health care, preferred.
8. Receive/ maintain LPS Certification as deemed necessary.
9. Must obtain approved training on LPS statuses and patient rights and successfully pass LPS Certification exam.
10. Must have approved LPS certification prior to writing 5150 holds in designated Prime facilities.
11. LPS Professionals: Must have experience in an inpatient mental health facility per County requirements.
12. Patients Rights Education/ Competency required 30 days upon hire and maintain current.
13. Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf