At St. Joseph Medical Center, our dedicated team of professionals are committed to our core values of quality, compassion, and community. As a member of Prime Healthcare, St. Joseph Medical Center is actively seeking new members to join its award-winning team!
Founded in 1874 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Joseph Medical Center has a long tradition of providing high-quality, compassionate care. Its Catholic heritage and the spirit of our founding Sisters continue today in our mission of caring for the community. The Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph is the Catholic Sponsor for St. Joseph Medical Center, under the leadership of his Excellency Bishop James V. Johnston, Jr.
St. Joseph Medical Center has received numerous awards for its quality and clinical excellence. We believe that continuous quality of care and performance improvements are the foundation for preserving and enhancing healthcare delivery. For information, visit www.stjosephkc.com.
The Emergency Department (ED) Charge Nurse is responsible and accountable to the Department Director for the quality of nursing staff and the delivery of patient care during their shift and assists the Director in the daily operation of the respective unit(s)/department. They provide direct communication with the Director and/or House Supervisor of unanticipated patient care events and/or risk management activities within patient care unit(s); Utilizes nursing personnel effectively, assisting with required scheduling, staffing and assignments; Provides direction, supervision and evaluation of staff and/or staff education as necessary; Assists with performance evaluations, progressive discipline of staff and other related HR activities as needed; Assesses supplies and equipment availability, ensures their proper use and functionality and assists in the daily maintenance of par levels; Collaborates with other department managers/supervisors to ensure smooth coordination of services to patients; enhanced patient flow within the facility and efficient admission/discharge/transfer processes; Assesses patient care delivery and quality of care/documentation on a consistent basis; directs staff members to make immediate changes in the plan of care, as appropriate to ensure patient safety and adherence to regulatory guidelines, hospital policies, procedures, protocols and/or clinical pathways and notifies Department Director, House Supervisor and/or Medical Staff as appropriate utilizing the chain of command. Interviews patients/families on admission and during rounds to enhance positive patient experiences, provide comprehensive orientation to the patient care unit and increase patient/family awareness on how to access services and/or the charge nurse, if necessary. The Charge Nurse may perform direct patient care within scope of practice and clinical competency to ensure patient safety and patient/nurse ratios; they shall be temporarily relieved of Charge Nurse duties during such times by Director/designee and shall document details of same on patient care assignment record.
30K Sign On-Bonus!
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING
1. Current and valid state RN License.
2. Current BLS certificate upon hire and maintain current.
3. Current ACLS certificate 30 days upon hire and maintain current.
4. Current PALS certificate and/or ENPC required 30 days upon hire and maintain current.
5. Previous supervisory experience, preferred.
6. Minimum of one year as a staff nurse in an acute care hospital setting, E.D. setting preferred.
7. Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC) certificate within 12 months of hire and Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN) within 2 years of hire, preferred.
8. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) preferred.
9. Behavioral Violence Prevention (BVP) certificate within 6 months of hire and maintain current annually.
Facility Specific Requirements (facility may require items listed below):
1. In Paramedic Base Station ED, MICN, within 12 months of hire.
2. EDAP Certified Facilities: Completion of emergency pediatric course 1 & 2 within 30 days of hire.
3. Minimum of 4 hours of CEU in Pediatric Training Classes per year ENPC preferred.
4. Non-OB facilities: Advanced or AWHONN Intermediate Fetal Monitoring certificate within 30 days upon hire.
We are an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf