Director of Surgical Services is responsible for direction of patient care in the operative environment. The Director manages the staff members in the Ambulatory Surgery, Surgery and PACU Departments. Consults with staff, physicians and Nurse Executive on nursing issues and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in PI activities/ formulates budget for the department.
KNOWLEDGE OF WORK
1. Directs actions toward supervision of nursing care given to neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients within the Surgical Suite, GI Lab, OPS, and PACU; according to nursing principles.
2. Provides for safe transportation of all patients to and from Surgical Services Department.
3. Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
4. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health errors.
5. Ability to perform waived testing (point-of-care testing) per Clinical Laboratory’s and the patient care unit’s policies and procedures.
6. Ability to interpret results of waived tests; take appropriate action on waived tests results.
7. Verifies availability of all supplies required for correct operation of the department. Obtains supplies per PAR levels.
8. Supervises and oversees sterilization process.
9. Supervises clinical aspects of Central Service Department.
10. Supervises care of OR Suite and equipment to ensure cleanliness, sterility and operational ability of all items.
11. Directs all safety measures to prevent accidents, harm or injury in any way to patient, staff or equipment.
12. Controls traffic to avoid infection.
13. Verifies that proper temperature, humidity, ventilation, and lighting are maintained to provide a comfortable, safe work environment.
14. Assists surgeons in operations through provision of qualified staff; formulates schedule which provides staff available for all procedures.
15. Assures presence of Circulating RN and PACU nurses for all cases.
16. Assigns personnel; delegates specific duties and tasks.
17. Provides and controls supplies and equipment needed for successful operation of the Surgical Services Department. Directs and delegates control of inventories to ensure proper amounts available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Verifies that narcotics and controlled substances are counted and locked, per hospital policy.
2. Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
3. Supervises care and cleanliness of equipment and supplies to ensure good working condition.
4. Evaluates needs for new or different items in regard to present and new trends or needs of the department.
5. Observes use and handling of supplies to decrease mishandling and breakage.
6. Continuously supervises staff to ensure quality of nursing care.
7. Delegates; reviews performance improvement monitoring; analyzes and evaluates Surgical Services Department to improve nursing care and provides monthly in-services.
8. Develops, revises and implements Surgical Services policies and procedures.
9. Participates in planning Surgical Services Department budget.
10. Provides orientation for new staff members.
11. Plans, control, direct, and coordinate administrative duties to ensure the functioning of the department and staff.
12. Completes evaluations and submits two (2) weeks prior to review. New employees are given checklists, oriented and evaluated at the end of 90 days.
13. Schedules and assigns staff to increase efficiency and coordination of department. Staffs according to standards.
14. Reports changes of any type to Surgical Services staff and reports changes to departments affected by the changes (i.e., Pathology / Imaging).
15. Demonstrates knowledge of nursing theory and management; demonstrates knowledge of disaster and emergency policies and procedures. Keeps informed of new developments in nursing and surgery. Demonstrates knowledge of good interpersonal relationships.
16. Communicates job expectations’ posts results of performance improvement monitoring.
17. Conducts monthly staff meetings. Allows staff to participate in problem-solving.
18. Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivated. Completes projects by due date.
19. Completes other duties as assigned by Nurse Executive, within the Board of Registered Nurses scope of nursing practice.
20. Performs all other duties as assigned or required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING
1. Current and valid state license as a Registered Nurse.
2. Current BLS (AHA) certificate upon hire and maintain current.
3. Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)-(AHA) certificate upon hire and maintain current.
4. A minimum of two years supervisory/management experience necessary.
5. At least two (2) years of experience in Surgical Nursing.
6. Current Certified Nurse OR (CNOR) (AORN) certificate(s) upon hire, preferred.
7. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required for all new hires after 1/11/2021.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf