The Infection Preventionist is responsible for surveillance, prevention and control of infection. Assists with policy and procedure development and implementation while maintaining CDC, OSHA, AOA, HFAP/TJC/CMS/local regulatory and other regulatory agency standards or directives. Acts as a primary education consultant to hospital employees, physicians, patients, volunteers and visitors in safe Infection Control/Prevention practices. Coordinates all hospital infection control activities with the Infection Prevention and Control Committee (IPCC), Medical Staff and hospital employees. Responds to potential exposures by communicating with patients, physicians, employees, volunteers and regulatory agencies. Coordinates employee annual physical examination, new hire physical clearances, and some workers compensation issues as requested by Human Resources. Provides emergency evaluation and treatment for work related injuries, assures cost effective coordination of treatment, referral to preferred providers and collaborates with management in development of objectives for employee health services compatible with goals and objectives of the hospital. Records and helps to maintain required confidential employee and administrative records. Performs safety rounds of the physical plant to ensure basic Infection Prevention and safety practices are adhered to in all hospital departments in order to maintain a safe environment for patients, physicians, nursing staff, visitors and other hospital employees.
1. Graduated from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s degree in nursing, medical laboratory technology/clinical laboratory sciences, clinical microbiology, public health or other life science related field.
2. Current BLS (AHA) certificate, or obtain within 2 months of hire
3. Minimum of two (2) years experience in acute care setting required, with at least one (1) year in infection control or employee health, preferred. .
4. Successful completion of formal APIC EPI 101 course (or similar offering) in Infection Control desirable.
5. CIC certification preferred (successfully become CIC certified within two (2) years of hire date).
6. National APIC membership required, upon hire.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf