Education and Work Experience
- Five years’ experience as an Activity Director in a Subacute, or Long-term/skilled nursing care setting preferred.
The director of resident activities shall hold at least one of the following four qualifications:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a major area of concentration in recreation, creative arts therapy, therapeutic recreation, art, art education, psychology, sociology, or occupational therapy;
- A high school diploma and three years of experience in resident activities in a health care facility and satisfactory completion of an activities education program approved by the Department, after a review of the specific curriculum, consisting of 90 hours of training, and incorporating the following elements:
- Overview of the activity profession;
- Human development: the late adult years;
iii. Standards of practice: practitioner behavior;
- Activity care planning for quality of life; and
- Methods of service delivery in the activity profession;
- Served as director of resident activities on June 20, 1988, and has continuously served as activities director since that time; or
- Holds current certification from the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (National Certification Council for Activity Professionals, 3015 Upton Drive, Suite 103, Kensington, Maryland 20895) or the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (National Council for Therapeutic Recreation, Inc., 16 Squadron Blvd., Suite 101, New City, NY 10956).
We are an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf