The position of CST/First Assistant reports to the Clinical Supervisor Surgical Services in the Surgery department/unit at Providence Medical Center. The mission of the Surgery Department is to provide a 24/7 high touch, high tech and efficient environment for our patients requiring elective, urgent or emergent surgical intervention. The Clinical Supervisor Surgery supports this mission by providing leadership in all aspects of operations and collaborating with all levels of leadership to achieve organizational goals.
1. Collaborates with the surgeon, anesthesia staff and the RN to accurately identify specific patient needs prior to surgery. Assists the RN to prioritize patient needs, develops and implements a plan to meet the needs of the patient according to.
2. Accurately identifies anatomical structures and functions of areas of the body and recognizes common pathology for all surgical procedures.
3. Accurately prepares and sets up instruments, equipment, suture and supplies for each surgical preparation procedure insuring cost efficient behaviors.
4. Maintains the organization of sterile field at all times to facilitate efficiency of the procedure and sponge, sharp and instrument counts.
5. Handles tissue as directed by the surgeon to include preparation of vein grafts.
6. Correctly drapes the patient to provide appropriate exposure of the field while insuring sterile field is maintained throughout the operation.
7. Provide exposure for the surgeon through appropriate use of instruments, retractors suctioning and sponging techniques.
8. Provides homeostasis by clamping blood vessels, coagulating bleeding points, ligating vessels and by other means directed by the surgeon.
9. Demonstrates safe use of instruments and equipment for case preparation and cleanup according to Unit Structure Standards.
10. Performs wound closure as directed by the surgeon; sutures subcutaneous tissue and skin.
11. Teaches and mentors the performance of the technical staff in the scrub role. Orients new personnel to the scrub role.
12. Assists the RN to recognize and accommodate the specialized needs of the infant patient in surgery for maintenance of body temperature, fluid volume and respiratory airways. (AORN Growth & Development learning modules.)
13. Assists the RN to recognize and accommodate the specialized needs of the child in surgery such as separation from parents/care giver, understanding of pain, maintenance of body temperature and fluid volume. (AORN Growth & Development learning modules.)
14. Assists the RN to recognize and accommodate the specialized needs of the adolescent patient in surgery such as their need for privacy, bodily image, understanding of pain. (AORN Growth & Development learning modules.)
15. Assists the RN to recognize and accommodate the special needs of the adult patient in surgery. (AORN Growth & Development learning modules.)
16. Assists the RN to recognize and accommodate the special needs of the geriatric patient in surgery such as decreased cardiovascular/respiratory function, skin integrity. (AORN Growth & Development learning modules.)
17. Demonstrates cost effective use of supplies, instruments and equipment according to Unit Structure Standards.
18. Assists the RN to correctly position the patient for the specific surgeries, recognizing patient compliance and general pressure points, per Unit Structure Standards.
19. Correctly identifies and verifies the location of the planned surgical procedure according to Unit Structure Standards.
20. Performs sponge, sharp and instrument counts according to
21. Correctly uses general and specialty equipment according to manufacturer and hospital directions per equipment orientation checklist and skills validations. Seeks assistance as necessary.
22. Monitors and insures aseptic technique in the operating room environment per
23. Demonstrates proper use of all types of sterilizing methods in the OR according to Correctly verifies and documents sterilization processes. Uses the correct method of sterilization for the instruments to be sterilized.
24. Assures tissue, fluid and foreign body specimens are handled correctly according to
25. Demonstrates appropriate response to emergent patient situations per Unit Structure Standards for Code Blue, Malignant Hyperthermia and Blood Loss/Replacement.
26. Coordinates with RN, ORA and anesthesia staff to insure that correct supplies and equipment required for individualized patient care, and for surgeons preferences, are available prior to each case.
27. Efficiently coordinates scrub activities to insure counts are completed and supplies and equipment are available before the patient is in the OR Suite. Requests assistance of RN circulator, schedule facilitator, or supervisor to accomplish as necessary.
28. Collaborates with the RN to insure the OR suite assigned to for the day is stocked, in order, and prepared for next case, and for the next day per Unit Structure Standards.
29. Notifies RN circulator in timely manner when surgical procedure is not occurring as expected.
30. Collaborates with other specialty staff to maintain accuracy of surgeon preference lists in other specialties.
31. Effectively meets the needs of coworkers when assigned to helper role. Collaborates with supervisor and coworkers to prioritize needs and follows through with plan. Communicates schedule changes with schedule facilitator in timely manner.
32. Demonstrates the initiative to assist coworkers when own assignment allows an opportunity.
33. Meets the learning needs of coworkers when teaching or mentoring, either as a designated preceptor, or by targeted daily assignments.
34. Efficiently collaborates with Specialty RN, educator and supervisor to develop/maintain specialty orientation manual.
35. Collaborates with the RN to insure surgeon's preference lists are up-to-date. Provides accurate and timely communication of changes to coworkers as necessary both verbally and in writing.
36. Recognizes on going learning needs of self. Communicates the needs to supervisor and educator. Demonstrates ownership to resolve those needs in the scrub role.
37. Volunteers to participate in department and Medical Center committees and project work.
38. Collaborates with supervisor and coworkers to fulfill responsibilities of committee and project assignments for the operating room and/or Medical Center such as completing work, meeting deadlines, and attending meetings.
39. Demonstrates the willingness to assist with patient care/unit responsibilities in CPD, PACU, OPD and other nursing units, as requested or assigned, to maintain department productivity standards.
40. Participates in budget process by discussing and determining needs with coworkers and physicians.
41. Participates in department performance improvement program.
1. Certification in Surgical Technology/Certified First Assistant.
2. Successful completion of a training program in a recognized First Assistant program.
3. Five years’ experience in an acute care operating room in the scrub role, preferred.
• Must be proficient in the following specialties: Major Vascular, Thoracic, Open Heart, Orthopedics, OB/GYN, General
4. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Provider affirmation by American Heart Association.
5. Basic computer skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf