Join an award-winning team of dedicated professional committed to our core values of quality, compassion and community! Saint Michael's Medical Center, a member of Prime Healthcare, offers incredible opportunities to expand your horizons and be part of a community dedicated to making a difference.
Established by the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor in 1867, Saint Michael's Medical Center is a 358-bed regional tertiary-care, teaching, and research hospital in the heart of Newark's business and educational district and is accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospital provides top-quality health care services delivered with compassionate care by combining state-of-the-art technology, the latest diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, leading-edge research, and a network of highly qualified physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals.
The first medical institution in New Jersey to perform open-heart surgery, and the first to develop a cardiac catheterization program, Saint Michael's Medical Center is home to the Heart and Vascular Institute, which offers a comprehensive array of innovative cardiac treatments and procedures. Learn more at www.smmcnj.com.
The Infection Control Preventionist is responsible for surveillance, prevention and control of infection. Assists with policy and procedure development and implementation while maintaining CDC, OSHA, AOA HFAP/TJC/CMS/local regulatory and other regulatory agency standards or directives. Acts as a primary education consultant to hospital employees, physicians, patients, volunteers and visitors in safe Infection Control/Prevention practices. Coordinates all hospital infection control activities with the Infection Control Committee, Medical Staff and hospital employees. Responds to potential exposures by communicating with patients, physicians, employees, volunteers and regulatory agencies.
Education and Work Experience
1. Graduate from an accredited school with a Bachelor’s degree in medicine, nursing, epidemiology, microbiology, public health or other life science related field, preferred.
2. If a registered nurse, must be licensed by the State where the facility is located.
3. Current BLS (AHA) certificate upon hire and maintain current.
4. Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a health care setting required. One year or more of experience in infection control and/or employee health is preferred.
5. APIC membership or other Infection Prevention Organization and attendance required upon acceptance.
6. Successful completion of formal APIC courses in Infection Control desirable.
7. Certification in Infection Control (CIC) preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf